About Owhata Medical Centre
Owhata Medical Centre staff go over and above the call of duty when it comes to patient care, focusing on wider family circumstances and all other influences affecting patient health.
We are proud of who we are,and where we have come from.
We are well-known within the Rotorua community, and in particular the eastern suburb community, with a large following of families - many covering three generations. We place great value on the relationships we have, and by the loyalty shown by families over the years.
We treat patients from all socio-economic groups, with a focus on supporting families that are struggling financially. Surgery staff are passionate about providing medical services that are accessible to all.
Fees are low, or free, and there is a free drop-in medical clinic on Wednesday afternoons for up to 18 year olds from 3:00pm – 6:00pm.
We are Cornerstone Accredited. Aiming for excellence.
This is the highest general practice quality awarded by the Royal NZ College of GP’s.
This is the result of a rigorous process of examination by the College of all aspects of the running of a general practice in New Zealand, examining in particular the quality of care a surgery provides to patients. The accreditation is subject to ongoing audit.
Owhata Medical Centre is one of only seven out of sixteen general practices in Rotorua who have achieved this qualification.
We have a strong relationship with Te Arawa, and in particular, with the Iwi and Hapu of the Eastern side of Rotorua.
- An established relationship with the Eastside Community Collective (ECC), and with the assistance of Lakes DHB, providing GP and nursing services to children, and up to 18 year olds, free of charge. The focus is on children, with Owhata Surgery nursing services provided in to Eastside Early Education Centres, and in to homes, and with access to social services through the ECC navigator
- The Lakes DHB provides free dental care from a fully equipped dental trailer unit located at the Owhata Medical Centre car park at the rear of our building. This is for up to 18 year olds during school holidays
- Free confidential counselling services, in conjunction with Lakes DHB, within our surgery environment
- Free smoking cessation services in conjunction with Lakes DHB and Tipu Ora
An established commitment to providing quality care to all levels of society.
- An established commitment to family health, elderly care, and high needs patients
- A great team of dedicated, friendly, professional and committed staff
- An established commitment to Maori Health. Owhata Medical Centre has made a difference, both locally and nationally, improving outcomes for Maori, particularly in the areas of Whanau Ora, Post Mortem, and by “one-on-one” relationships that we have within the families that we care for